Monday, October 4, 2010

Recent Fashions influenced by old ones

I would be remiss if I did not highlight some of the work of one of my favorite designers of all time, Coco Chanel.  I find bold and inspiring the simplicity of her lines and her thoughts about what women's fashion should be and more clearly what it shouldn't be .  Her work and her life's mantra it seems resounded enough so that we can still see her work reflected in today's runway collections.
I thought it very telling as well that one of my favorite contemporary designers is Donna Karan.  Again I find that she inspires, grace and femininity, ease in wear and enhancement of the female body.  Many of the same qualities that I find so drawing about Coco Chanel's brand of design. 









This is a piece that was designed by Coco Chanel herself but is being worn by a contemporary model.  I learned very much and gathered much information about her collections at the Victoria and Albert MuseumThe web site can be accessed at  http://www.vam.ac.uk.
















These are designs from Donna Karan's Spring 2011 collection.  Although the designs differ somewhat in style it is easy to see where Karan has gotten some of the vibe.  Keeping it ever feminine, draping with flowing layers cascading around and down the feminine form much the way we can see the way Coco Chanel always reflected on the form of the body and ways to make it more beautiful. 





Another designer and another look from Chanel is brought forth to today and  highlighted below in a Gucci design for the Ready to wear 2010 collection featuring a shorter version of the classic Chanel Jacket, use of pearls and simple fabrics and colors.



And finally as it seems I cannot stay away from Chanel and Donna Karan, I have chosen yet another beautiful example from Chanel from the 1930's.  Who knows how many incarnations and inspirations have been sparked and have grown in the psyche of contemporary designers from this gown. I have highlighted below at least one in my judgement.
                                                                                                  A stunning example of how Donna Karan could have found inspiration from Coco Chanel's work for her beautifully draped evening gown.

In the end what I have come to understand is that within simplicity there are many roads to beauty.  It can be stunning,flattering,  accentuating, sexy and very chic.   I think that these two designers have come up with a way to bring there personal design vision of simplicity in form and style can emphasize and enhance the female form with out detracting from it.  
And in the words of Coco Chanel  herself   "A woman is closest to being naked when she is well dressed." and "Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman"

 
















No comments:

Post a Comment